Monday, January 19, 2009

Excitement and wonder

Tomorrow I will be attending the Inauguration Ceremony alongside an estimated 2+ million other Americans and internationals. While I am thoroughly excited about this amazing opportunity, there is another part of me that is wondering, "How it is going to work out to potentially have over 2 million people gathered in one place for 6-8 hours with only 5,000 portable toilets available for everyone to use?" I am not kidding! That is a real statistic!!
Well, one thing I have learned in his very cold place, you don't drink nearly as much liquid when it is this cold, and the need for a bathroom break is greatly diminished as well. : )
Today I stood in a line for over two hours waiting to get through security screening at Congressman Trent Franks office building so that I could pick up tickets that were promised to me for the ceremony. Believe me, there were a few times that I thought about leaving, but the really cool thing about my patience (and cold toes) is that I was given tickets to stand in the "purple zone" on the Capitol side of the reflecting pool in front of the steps on the west side of the Capitol building. While it is not up close and personal, and I will be standing for many hours, I will be one of the closest attendees present. I will try to post a picture of my vantage point when I get back tomorrow so you can get a clearer idea of what this really means. Let's just say that Congressman Franks' assistant told me that 91% of the tickets they were given to distribute were in the "silver zone" located behind the reflecting pool! There may be a map on a website that you could look at, but I am not sure. I will try to save mine so if you are interested, I can show you sometime.
My journey here is almost over, and I must say that I am very ready to come home to my sweet family, and the warmth of Arizona's sun, but this has been an amazing trip! I am so inspired by all that I have seen and heard. I will walk away from this experience with a greater perspective and appreciation of the role our political leaders have and with a greater awareness of how truly important it is for us all to be actively participating in it all.
I can't wait to be with all who mean so much to me. I miss you all very much. Thanks for following this leg of the journey with me. I will continue to post more even after I return home to continue to keep a logue of the journey I am traveling with Him who has called me according to His purposes.
See you on the other side
~Angie

1 comment:

Mary said...

Good morning Angie, today is the day! It is warm in AZ, we have kept the sun on for you!! LOL
Have a great experience today.
Looking forward to following you in your walk. Love ya, Mary